Off to South Carolina!

Well, we were off.

We’re home now.

We headed out Friday morning, Bill and I, to South Carolina to help some dear friends move. I knew they were going to move, but never remembered when exactly. One day I threw out a text to her and found out they had not moved yet and when I heard the details later, plans were made, Bill took Friday off, and we were off that Friday morning to haul boxes and furniture with them.

We’ve been friends since their youngest and our oldest were in high school together and they have helped us move a few times. We were due to return the favor. Especially since one has a broken finger and the other has a broken foot. Those facts don’t keep them from doing a whole hell of a lot, but moving furniture really shouldn’t be done alone with those tiny details staring them in the face.

We had a nice drive up, it’s not terribly far from Savannah. We arrived at the house just after they had gone to pick up the truck, so we were set to work.

Can I just say that it was hot? I mean HOT! Damn HOT!! Not only because it’s summer in the South, but because the whole country is presently in the oven with the dial turned way up! But we had two coolers of water and Gatorade and we just tried not to think about it too terribly much.

The guys were in it more than Debbie and I and I only felt a bit guilty throughout the weekend. Bill is more used to the heat than anyone else since he seems to like to go for his run in the summer heat, a fact that I really have quit trying to understand. I nag about it a little, but he takes his water and takes it easy, so he runs in the heat.

Two of our friends grandchildren were there for a visit and we had a great time getting to know them again. The grandson is 10 now and the last time we saw him, he was about 2! Bill and I had great fun regaling him with stories of him as a toddler. He is growing into a smart, handsome young man. And is big sister is a beauty! So sweet and smart! The two of them went all out with everything they were asked to do over the weekend.

Their new house is cute! It needs a little tender loving care, as most do.


Bright and early Saturday morning we were up and ready to go, left our hotel and had a bite to eat before the day began.


Saturday was also Bill’s birthday, so the kids and I ran out to the store and picked up a cake so we could enjoy a little birthday celebration during the moving party!


We ended up having the cake on Sunday afternoon. Saturday was long and it was kind of late by the time we wrapped things up for the night. But the cake was delicious! Publix won me over big time in the cake department.


With promises of another birthday celebration at home with Mary, I think Bill didn’t mind one bit about his little ol’ 60th birthday!

And this couple here enjoyed a few minutes of together time over their piece of cake.


They look serious here, but I missed the shot of them sharing a bite of cake and looking at each other like they were two teenagers with a first crush. They are an amazing couple. Love them dearly.

And, no, Mountain Dew was not the drink of choice to go with the cake. It was just there on the table. I hope.


I had to take pictures of this beautiful plant! The plants were the last to be brought over, of course, and this one is so stunning! It made the trip safely and I’m sure it will love its new home.

Bill and I got home to Savannah Sunday evening and had a nice night with Mary and the dogs. From the recliners. In front of the TV. Until our heads hit the pillows. Early.